The wheelchair seating and positioning clinic at Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital offers people with disabilities a variety of seating and mobility options. The clinic is designed as a community service to provide expert evaluation by a therapist who is Assistive Technology Practitioner certified, to assess needs for custom seating, positioning and mobility.
A comprehensive wheelchair evaluation will be performed including functional status, postural evaluation and equipment assessment. Multiple manual and power wheelchair models are available for trial. Recommendations for equipment will be made to optimize function, skin integrity and postural alignment. A team will work to
- verify insurance
- coordinate with a qualified vendor
- present at the evaluation to provide funding information and provision and delivery of appropriate mobility equipment.
Medicare guidelines, adhered to by most insurance companies, will be explained and followed.
By using pressure mapping technology, we can further customize
your wheelchair to your body.
Other high-level complex services are also available such as:
• Specialty control devices including various head control systems, sip and puff systems, and customized joy sticks.
• Pressure mapping to determine optimum pressure distribution for seat and back cushions. This is a computer enhanced assessment tool to identify areas of the body at highest risk for skin breakdown, providing education and assisting in selection of appropriate cushions.
• Wheelchair training utilizing an obstacle course for functional and efficient mobility
Please call (904) 345-7646 to learn more about the Brooks Rehabilitation Wheelchair Clinic.