Swallowing Disorders Program
Brooks Swallowing Disorders Clinic
The Brooks Rehabilitation Swallowing Disorders Clinic has a full program to evaluate and treat swallowing problems, also known as dysphagia.
What Causes Dysphagia?
Swallowing problems have many causes such as:
- brain injury
- spinal cord injury
- Parkinson’s Disease or other progressive neurological disorders
- head and neck cancer
- cervical spinal surgery
- generalized weakness and decompensation
- various neurological conditions
Our experts in Speech-Language Pathology specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of swallowing disorders.
Individuals that show the following signs and symptoms should be referred for a full evaluation:
· Frequent coughing/throat clearing when eating or drinking
· A feeling that food is stuck in the throat
· Difficulty breathing or increased work of breathing when eating or drinking
· Unexplained, low-grade, persistent fever
· Repeated bouts of pneumonia and/or chest congestion
· Unexplained weight loss and/or dehydration or malnutrition
Evaluation and Treatment
Brooks Rehabilitation uses advanced equipment and clinical methods to determine what is causing the swallowing problems and how it can be treated. Our services include:
- Medical/Case history
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES)
- Clinical Swallowing Evaluation
- Care planning
- Vital Stim/Neuromuscular electrical stimulation
- Individualized therapy
Education on findings and recommendations will be provided immediately following evaluation. Evaluation of findings and recommendations will quickly get to your referring physician.