Brooks Stroke Wellness Program
Brooks Rehabilitation, in partnership with the YMCA and Halifax Medical Center, is proud to offer the Stroke Wellness Program. The Stroke Wellness Program provides patients with customized exercise programs and nutrition education to support the goal of restoring strength, endurance and agility after a stroke. Designed by the Brooks team of stroke experts, this program is the only one of its kind in Northeast Florida.
Purpose of the Program
Long term effects of stroke can include general muscle weakness, decreased endurance, slower metabolism and decreased blood flow on the affected side of the body. Research shows that a healthy lifestyle including exercise and good nutrition can improve the long term health of stroke survivors.
Components of the Program
Under the guidance of your Brooks physical therapist and the Stroke Wellness Program staff, you will be evaluated and provided with your own personal fitness plan, which is designed to start with your current abilities and to gradually change as your strength and endurance improves.
How to Join the Program
- An order and a medical release from the physician are needed to get started.
- Then the patient needs to call Brooks Rehabilitation or Halifax to set up an appointment for an evaluation by an outpatient therapist to create an individual exercise plan.
- In Jacksonville call (904) 345-7277 or (888) 323-8008
- In Ormond Beach Area call (386) 898-0220
- In Orange City/West Volusia/Deland Area call (386) 775-7488
- In Daytona Area call (386) 258-4969
- In Port Orange Area call (386) 304-7660
- After the initial assessment at the most convenient outpatient clinic the patient’s exercise plan will be completed with other survivors of stroke under the guidance of exercise specialists at the most convenient participating Y facility.
Program Locations and Times
- Brooks Family YMCA ; MWF 1-4 pm
- Johnson Family YMCA ; MWF 1-4 pm
- St. Augustine Family YMCA ; MWF 2-4 pm
- Williams Family YMCA ; T TH 1-4 pm
- Dye-Clay Family YMCA ; T TH 10-12 pm
- Port Orange Family YMCA; MWF 1-4pm
- Deland Family YMCA; MWF 1-4pm
- Ormond Beach Family YMCA; MWF 1-4pm
- Halifax Health- Wellness Center; TTh 1-4pm
Fees for program participation are $30 per month paid to the YMCA. If you are already a member of the YMCA, a program discount is provided.